Wednesday 2 November 2011

Buying Canadian made when possible

It takes awhile to get used to asking the question “is this made in Canada”? and I forgot several times and only thought of it after I had left the store.

I was sitting at the Quick Lube in Okotoks when I remembered my Canada First commitment and asked the guy if this was a Canadian or an American franchise. To my surprise it was not only a Canadian owned business but not a franchise. The oil filter was made in Mexico and the attendant didn’t know where the oil came from but I certainly hope that it is local! How much of the oil from the Fort McMurray area stays in Canada and how much is exported? I don’t know anything about engine oil but considering how many vehicles are on the roads there must be a lot of oil changes happening every day. Is there an engine oil on the market with local oil and how would I know? Maybe we should develop a brand of engine oil called “Canada First Lube” so there will be no guessing where it is from.

A lot of my groceries are already fairly local but wanted to check out some of the other items we use on a regular basis. I found we have two kinds of tooth paste in the house, one made in Canada and one made in the US. The same goes for deodorant and shampoo, Canadian made products are easy to find you just have to get used to pick up an item and look at the label to see where it is made. I didn’t experience any problems with quality so I will continue to choose Canadian made when I can.

Would it hurt our economy if we all started to buy Canadian when possible? Do we sell a lot more to the United States than we import? Considering the difference in the size of our countries I guess it would be logical to assume that we sell more than we import but is that true?

I also purchased four new tires last week but I don’t think they are made in Canada but I bought them at Canadian Tire – does that count?

If you have answers to my questions, please e-mail me at ullameredith@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment