Thursday 8 December 2011

Keeping my money in Canada - update

Yesterday I went shopping at “Roots” with a friend who shops there every Christmas as she has started a tradition of sending clothing from this Canadian brand store to her family in the States. I was impressed by her commitment to promoting Canadian products which is something I really believe in.

While my friend shopped I looked around and tried to find an item actually made in Canada but eventually I had to give up. I was approached by a very friendly clerk and I asked her questions about the products in the store. She told me that nothing is the store was actually made in Canada any longer which I found to be such an irony. Here is a store that only sells Canadian brand items and nothing is actually made here!

I now always ask the question “where is this made?” and have found a lot of surprises along the way. I have found tooth paste, deodorant and shampoo which is made in Canada and I have now switch to these brands.

I bought a coat for my son which proudly displayed the Canadian flag but upon closer inspection I found that the coat was designed in Canada but not made here. He also needed a couple of undershirts and they were made in Canada by Stanfield's in Nova Scotia.

I found carpet at Home Depot which was made in Canada and it was on sale at a really great price.

I spent a lot of time at Fruits & Passion which is a fragrance and body care company with stores in most malls throughout Canada.

So this year everyone on my list will be getting Stanfield's underwear and Fruits & Passion body care items for Christmas and my money will stay in Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment