Sunday 14 August 2011

A perfect dinner


Yesterday I spent most of the day in the kitchen which might seem strange as it was 28 degrees outside but it’s what I felt like doing and I had several recipes I wanted to try.

I started out by baking 4 loaves of rye bread which I do twice a month now, so healthy and delicious and the kids don’t complain about it being too ‘grainy’. Bread does not take a long time to make but it does require you be home for a period of time which makes it perfect for a Saturday when you can do other things in between. By reading through the recipe, I know that from start to eat is 6 hours which includes time for the bread to cool.

At noon I found out that all the kids would be home for dinner so I decided to try the recipe for bacon jam that I had seen on Dinner with Julie awhile ago. Bacon jam is maybe not the best word for it but the ‘jam’ refers to the consistency and it was delicious and a perfect topping for hamburgers.

While reading Julie’s blog I came across a beautiful movie made by Todd and Diane of www.whiteonricecouple.com which is a tribute to Jennifer Perillo who lost her husband last week and reading the story reminded me again of how it really is later than we think – Monday Jennifer was canning peaches and that same afternoon she was widowed at age 40. She later wrote on her blog that it was her wish that her readers would make her husband’s favorite pie and share it with their loved ones. When I told my daughter we were having a peanut butter pie for dessert she asked “is it the one for Mikey?”, I then realized how far reaching the food blogging community is.

So for dinner we had hamburgers topped with avocado slices and bacon jam together with a tomato basil quinoa salad and for dessert a peanut butter pie – all super easy to make which makes it perfect for company.

No comments:

Post a Comment