Thursday 23 June 2011

Homemade treats

Yesterday when my son and a group of friends came home, John charged ahead of the group and went straight for the glass domed cake stand on the counter and yelled “I get the last one!”. These kids who love anything artificial also love homemade stuff which I find very promising. They love slurpees, skittles and twizzlers which horrifies me, but they also love homemade stuff so there is still hope I guess.

I will continue my fight against crap in food, especially in this house with three teen-agers and their friends.

Preparation time - 10 minutes

Chocolate Banana Cupcakes:

1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup milk
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup corn syrup
3 tbsp. canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. lemon juice or white vinegar
1 ¾ cup flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ cup chocolate chips

Makes exactly 12 cupcakes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray muffin pan with cooking spray. In bowl, mix together bananas, milk, brown sugar, corn syrup, oil, vanilla and vinegar. In another bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Mix with wet ingredients until just blended. Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes until cupcakes feel firm. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment